Wednesday, October 20, 2010

30 Days of Truth: Day 2 - Something I love about myself

I love that I'm forgiving. I can't say I've always been this way, it's not natural to be this way. The more appropriate thing to say is "I love that I have let God work in my heart so I can be forgiving towards others.' I really cant take credit for God's work. The more I learn and see how much God loves us and how far his grace extends, it blows me away. I constantly let God down, I give in to my sinful nature and take matter's into my own hands and He still forgives me, all the time, washes me white as snow. When I think about what my Savior went through on that cross (even tho I cant begin to conceive the complete horrendousness of it) it has really made me think, "If God, the Creator of all things, can forgive me time and time again even tho I am a no one, who am I not to extend that same grace and forgiveness towards some one else?" And it's not always easy, but it sure does give me peace and it is also a way we can be Christ-like and set apart. I just want to reiterate, on my own, I am not a natually forgiving, let's-sing-kumbaya person. God has really grabbed my heart in this area the past couple years and worked on me being forgiving. When you get into the practice of it, you realize that forgiving others benefits you more than the other person. It frees you and allows you to grow so close to the Lord. Whenever you think 'I can't do it, I can't forgive them.' Think of God allowing his Only son to be mocked, spit on, beaten, tortured, humiliated and ultimately nailed to a cross just to OFFER you the gift of salvation and forgiveness. It's wayyy easier to forgive when you put it in that perspective. God's love for us is something I will never completely be able to wrap my head around, but I don't have to. All I know is he created me to love Him and for Him to love me and I just want to focus on falling more and more in love with him and I don't want my petty unforgiveness to get in the middle of that!

Matthew 5:43-48 says:
43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

No comments: